home research news speak out calendar ideas guest book search
Go to UCP Homepage
Home News Research Congress Speak Out Calendar Feedback Search
Education Employment Health & Wellness
Housing Parenting & Families Products & Services
Sports & Leisure Transportation Travel
Your UCP: National October 13, 2003
Products & Services

Assistive Technology

General Funding Tips

JAN LogoThe Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is an international toll-free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations and the employability of people with disabilities. The JAN staff has compiled this non-inclusive list of resources to assist in the search for funding information. This publication summarizes funding search tips and describes some of the most frequent types of organizations and groups that provide funding. The document is a compilation of basic suggestions and things to remember during a search. We hope that this information is helpful and if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You may also access a list of via funding resources that JAN has compiled.

For information on specific agencies and organizations, please look in your local area phone directory, specifically looking in the Blue Pages for government contacts and the Yellow Pages for other organizations. To request an organization's phone number you need the agency's name and the state in which they are located. Dial 1-800-555-1212 to locate toll free numbers; for toll calls, dial 0 to speak with the local operator.

Public/Private Funding Sources

For the following listings, there may be special eligibility considerations. Please contact the agency for details. Most government agencies can be found in the phone book under the Yellow Pages Section.

Private Corporations

The purchase of assistive technology or other equipment for a person with a disability can benefit both the person and the business. The person may be able to be more productive and the business may receive positive press. Approaching a private corporation for funding assistance may be most effective with a business previously associated with a disability group or a business that needs a boost in their public relations.

Foundation or Trust Fund Donors

Foundation or trust fund donors are best accessed through one of the nationís Foundation Centerís or a local library with a grantsmanship program. Look in the Foundation Directory for sources relating to special needs or disability. Foundation Centers are located in major cities but may also have information posted on individual Web sites. It is probably wise to start with local foundations before trying to attract monies from larger national sources.

Service Clubs

Local civic organizations such as Kiwanis, Rotary, and Lionís Club have often contributed to the purchase of assistive devices. Since these funds are usually limited, it is best to use them sparingly and to suggest a matching fund arrangement with another source.


Individuals often have affiliations with groups that may assist in fundraising activities. Groups that have historically raised funds by conducting various types of fundraising include churches, co-workers, and other organizations.


There are a handful of individuals and organizations that grant wishes to people with specific needs. For information on organizations of this nature, it is best to scope your local area for available resources and organizations.

Public Appeals

If other sources of funding have been exhausted, a public appeal is an option. For example, you may appeal to a local retail store for equipment.

Federal, State, and Local Organizations

For the following listings, there may be special eligibility considerations. Please contact the agency for details. Most government agencies can be found in the phone book under the Blue Pages Section.


Medicare is a federally funded health insurance program that helps Americans over 65 and many people with severe disabilities under age 65 pay for their healthcare costs. Medicare has two parts: (1) Part A- Mandatory Hospital Insurance and (2) Part B- Optional Medical Insurance.


Medicaid is a program that provides medical assistance for certain individuals with a low-income status. Medicaid provides medical assistance to families with dependent children, the aging, people who are blind, those receiving Supplemental Security Income, and certain other groups eligible for cash welfare payments.

Veterans Administration

The Veterans Administration will fund any communication device prescribed for a person who has a service connected disability. Other funding projects vary. For further assistance please call the local Veterans Administration in your area.

Vocational Rehabilitation

All states have vocational rehabilitation agencies to help people with disabilities become employable or employed by providing a wide range of services, financial assistance, and training. The eligibility requirements vary from state to state. To find out more about these services, look in the Blue Pages of your local phone directory.

Insurance Companies

Insurance companies act as fiscal agents, processing funding through government agencies as well as through private industries and individuals. They are underwriters of insurance programs for individuals, major corporations, and trade unions.

Source: JAN

Products & Services
Assistive Technology
Bellows Fellows Grants
Personal Assistants
Service Animals
Wheeled Mobility
Rental & Repair
Delivery Services
UCP Services
Discussion Group
About UCP
Research Foundation & Fact Sheets
Corporate Sponsors
Public Policy
Media & Public Awareness
Grants & Contracts
Bellows Fund
Web Site Accessibility
En espaŮol
© 2003, UCP National (aka United Cerebral Palsy)
1660 L Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 800-872-5827/202-776-0406 TTY: 202-973-7197 Fax: 202-776-0414
E-Mail: webmaster@ucp.org
Affiliate Center Entrance
[password required]
Privacy Policy & Terms of Usage